Our beautiful little boy, Angus Roy arrived on the 10th October weighing a healthy 3.4 kilos. We have been home for a few weeks now, getting to know the littlest guy and reacquainting ourselves with what it means to be sleep deprived.
There is definitely a fourth trimester, a three month period from the birth of your new babe. A time when you and your baby are getting to know one another. You will be exhausted, hormonal and feel like all you ever do is feed, nappy change and settle. There will be moments when you can rest but I've never been much good at that especially with two other children to care for and a house to manage. For all first time Mum's reading this - rest when baby is down....so much harder to do when you have more than one child.
When I was in the thick of the toddler and baby days with Maddie and Alfie, Mum would say "The days are long but the years are short" - with a now 11 and 9 year old, I have only come to appreciate how true this statement is. Although I am exhausted, I making the most of every day with little Angus as I know how quickly the time flies by. Try to enjoy it - before you know it you will have tantrum throwing toddler on your hands!
Third time round, I have learnt a thing or two about how to make this time a little easier on yourself and the rest of the family.
- It's ok to say no - totally fine to tell people you are not up for visitors. If they are good friends, they will understand. Everyone loves a freshly minted human but the reality is that in the early days, they feed and sleep A LOT. Angus is normally up for no longer than 45 minutes to an hour - only time to be fed, burped and changed. I've learnt the hard way that babies who are handled and passed around end up getting over tired. It is then SO much harder to get them to settle and sleep. If you have family and friends close by and you are up for company, drop them a text when the baby wakes for his next feed, they can then do the burping and changing.
- Stock the freezer - newborns are time consuming and will almost always have at least one unexplained unsettled period every 24 hours. You kinda hope this doesn't happen at 2am (but trust me...sometimes it does) but more often than not the "witching" hour/s kick off around 5pm. Just when you want to start thinking about dinner - highly inconvenient. Stock the freezer with some easy, nutrient rich meals. I've been so fortunate to have lovely friends who drop in for 5 minutes bearing salads, freshly baked bread, curries...truly I burst into tears when a friend literally just dropped food for our dinner on the doorstep. Babies get a ridiculous amount of gifts - when someone asks you what to get for baby, ask them for a home cooked meal!
- Essential oils - I only use and recommend doTERRA essential oils. They are 100% certified therapeutic grade, there are no fillers in these bottles of goodness. There are so many ways to experience the therapeutic benefits of these oils. I have been using them like this:
- Lavender Peace - one drop in the diffuse, in our bedroom when the baby is sleeping. This blend is super dooper calming. I have also been using this when I bath Angus. I drop diluted in a tablespoon of any type of milk, then into the tub. The milk means the oil is dispersed in the water rather than sitting on top.
- Roman Chamomile - soothing, calming and promotes relaxation. This is a very gentle oil so I like to dilute one drop in about a tablespoon of organic jojoba oil and use as a body moisturiser after baths. A bit of a two in one...hydrating but also sets the little guy up for a good sleep.
- Lavender Touch - when Angus is unsettled I roll some Lavender Touch on the soles of his feet and I have also been massaging on his tummy when he is a little windy.
- Basil Oil - my milk supply is pretty low which is not something I have experience before. 2 drops in a tablespoon of FCO and rub into boobs.
- Past Tense - this blend is SUPER powerful. It comes in a roller bottle undiluted so split it into thirds over a few over roller bottles and topped with FCO. This is doTERRA's 'relaxation blend' but I have found it incredibly cooling and so good for any head tension. I've been rolling this sucker on my temples, it is amazing stuff.
- Toxic Free baby products - DIY Baby Wipes and DIY Nappy Balm. Incredibly easy to make with NO nasties.
- Life Long Vitality - doTERRA supplements are a MUST! Packed full of essential nutrients, metabolism benefits, and powerful antioxidants designed to help promote energy, health, and lifelong vitality. These guys are doTERRA's best selling product and for good reason. They keep the spring in my step even when I am operating on very little sleep.
If you would like to know more about how essential oils can benefit your overall emotional and physical wellness, please let me know. I am incredibly passionate about these oils and firmly believe every household needs them. Please check the ‘essential oil’ and ‘workshop’ page of this website. I have two workshops scheduled for November and would love to spend a few hours with you talking all things oils! Alternatively, drop me an email and I will be happy to chat xx
Important note. This site provides general information and discussion about health, wellness and related subjects. Nothing contained in this site is intended to be used as medical advice and it is not intended to be used to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease, nor should it be used for therapeutic purposes or as a substitute for your own health professional's advice. If you have an illness, disease, chronic health condition or any medical concern, please consult with your health care practitioner. The author disclaims any liability or responsibility for any loss or damage incurred directly or indirectly by use of or reliance on the information provided on this site